Tuesday, March 8, 2011

And Then Some News

Thursday's Essay Preview

This is the second of 17 essays that cover our Southeast Asia cruise (March, 2010).  The first paragraph of the second essay reads as follows:  "Just for the fun of it, I pulled out a 20 Chinese Yuen at a cash register in a local store, and because I had just returned home from China, I told the cashier where I got the money, and she said, 'You know, I’ve never had any desire to leave this country.'  I responded saying, 'It is a positive experience, and it makes you proud to be an American.'"



Thursday's Essay Excerpt - from the last paragraph of the essay

My list could go on to mention 5,000-year-old traditions and beliefs, population density, societies that depend on class consciousness, or the garishness of religious symbols, but I want to add a final note.  We enjoy traveling widely, and our trip to Southeast Asia was no exception.  Just because I observed differences between cultures, does not mean I disliked anything I observed.  It comes back to the old cliche: “Nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there.”  “While no nation is greater than another,” one writer on the Internet said when I Googled, “Proud to be an American,” “and no nationality is superior to another, I am happy to be among those who call the United States their home.” .My conclusion is simple: “It sure makes you proud to be an American.”






And Then Some News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Essays, SMOERs Words-of-Wisdom, Fridays Laugh, book reviews... And Then Some! Thank you for your comment.