Thursday, June 30, 2011

What one letter can do

by Richard L. Weaver II, Ph.D.    

I really didn’t think anything about it when it happened because her action fit into a pleasing matrix of supportive, encouraging, positive behavior; however, it was such a treat that I decided to write a letter describing her actions.  This is the letter I wrote:
 
Mr. Anthony Sprenger, Branch Manager
Key Bank
1088 Louisiana Avenue
Perrysburg, OH 43551

Dear Mr. Sprenger:

This unsolicited letter is designed specifically to extol the virtues of Monica Kernahan — an outstanding Key Bank client-service representative.

We have been associated with Key Bank since it took over State Home Savings Bank in 1984.  Previously we had done all our banking with State Home Savings, and when the change occurred, we then did all our banking with Key Bank; thus, our association with Monica goes back as far as 1985 — twenty-four years of wonderful, caring, respectful service.

The most recent example of her adeptness and capability took place within the last fifteen minutes; however, it is a true and representative example of the many associations I have had with her during the near quarter-of-a-century relationship.

On January 9, 2009, I took out a second Key Equity Option with Monica which she promptly deposited into my Key Bank checking account.  At the time, this was a second Key Equity Option account.  Although we did not discuss it, monthly payments for the first Key Equity Option were automatically deducted from our checking account.

On February 14, 2009, I received the first notification that the “Total Minimum Payment” of was due, and an envelope was enclosed for payment.  I called Monica at 12:50 p.m. on February 23rd to make certain that the payment would be made automatically, and she assured me she set up the account in that manner.

Well, to make a long story short, at 11:45 a.m. today (02-27-09), she called me (unsolicited and unexpected) to let me know that as of yesterday, the automatic payment had taken place.  It was simply a call to inform me, keep me posted, and let me know that she was on top of things — making certain that my concerns were her concerns and that full closure had taken place on this account.

Mr. Sprenger, it is precisely this kind of service, kindness, and attention to detail that has caused me to return again, and again, and again to Monica (and, obviously, Key Bank).

Monica discharges her duties and then some.  She helps bank clients and then some.  She assists those who ask for information and then some.  And, Mr. Sprenger, I am always impressed with her thoughtfulness, sensitivity, and unrestrained compassion.  The friendliness and generosity she has displayed are truly representative of outstanding service, and I feel she is an excellent model of excellence for Key Bank.

     
There are several lessons here for those who want to “extol the virtues” of others who have touched their lives in direct and positive ways.  The first key is to find out exactly who should be contacted.  It is not just the immediate supervisor for he or she may not carry the weight necessary to present your comments to others.  You need to find out who is the person who can make a difference, get the correct spelling of that person’s name, and get the exact address (or phone number) to which to send your letter.
    
A phone call alone may not have the impact you desire, does not provide a permanent record, and may not be passed along.  What I have found is that a letter serves these purposes best for several reasons: 1) It can be copied, and a copy can be given to the person about whom you are writing.  2) A copy can be sent to those in superior positions, or to whose likely to have the most influence.  3) A copy can be put into the employee’s permanent file.
    
The second lesson for those who want to “extol the virtues” of others is to be specific.  Notice in the letter that I included exact dates of when things occurred.  Also, I described exactly the behaviors I was talking about—leaving nothing to the imagination of anyone reading the letter.
    
The third important lesson is to make certain that your comments tie the behavior or actions of the employee to the business or organization he or she represents.  That is exactly why I wrote, “Mr. Sprenger, it is precisely this kind of service, kindness, and attention to detail that has caused me to return again, and again, and again to Monica (and, obviously, Key Bank).”
    
A fourth lesson is to add an evaluation of the employee.  Tell exactly how the employee’s behavior made you feel, how it helped you, or what it looks like from a person on the outside.  Leave nothing to chance.  Once again, I added a final paragraph to the letter: “Monica discharges her duties and then some.  She helps bank clients and then some.  She assists those who ask for information and then some.  And, Mr. Sprenger, I am always impressed with her thoughtfulness, sensitivity, and unrestrained compassion.  The friendliness and generosity she has displayed are truly representative of outstanding service, and I feel she is an excellent model of excellence for Key Bank.”
    
A fifth lesson involves the final portion of your letter: your signature.  When you sign your letter, be complete.  An anonymous letter, for example, serves little purpose and is unlikely to get much attention.  When I signed mine, I not only used my name, but I added my position as president and CEO of And Then Some Publishing, LLC, and I added my address, phone number, and my e-mail mailboxes (URLs).  Incidentally, I was notified immediately by Mr. Sprenger that he had received my letter, appreciated my comments and my business, and was sending a copy of the letter to the regional office.
    
I have to add a footnote to all that took place.  I went into Key Bank today (February 16, 2010), and when I saw Monica, I asked her if she had received the plaque she expected.  You see, my letter—that letter alone—won her recognition in both the region and district, and in competition with others vying for employee of the month, Monica won the competition.  The certificate, “The Great Lakes WOW of the Month” was signed by Chuck Sulerzyski, Regional President, and Jim Hoffman, District President.
    
When I asked Monica if I could see the certificate, she immediately asked me if I wanted a copy of it.  Naturally, I said, “Yes,” and she took it off the wall, proceeded immediately to the copy machine, and I have a copy of her certificate here at my computer as I am writing this essay—just one more example of the “friendliness and generosity she has displayed [that] are truly representative of outstanding service.”
-----
At WriteExoress, even though the goal is to sell software, there are some excellent suggestions for writing letters of appreciation.  Along with my suggestions above, their essay, “Appreciation Letters:  Write a powerful letter of appreciation that makes the right impression, or makes someone feel special,” offers brief additional ideas.

At wikiHow there are steps, tips, and warnings for writing such letters in the essay, “How to Write a Letter of Appreciation,” originated by Nicole Willson, Ben Rubenstein, and Sondra C. Anonymous.  This is a very useful web site.
-----
Copyright June, 2011, by And Then Some Publishing, LLC.

1 comment:

  1. Maximillion Ryan IIIJune 30, 2011 at 7:57 AM

    Great advice! I think I have some "extol the virtues" letters to write!

    ReplyDelete

Essays, SMOERs Words-of-Wisdom, Fridays Laugh, book reviews... And Then Some! Thank you for your comment.