Tuesday, September 20, 2011

And Then Some News

Thursday's Essay Preview

The first paragraph of the fourth anniversary essay, "What qualifies me to wrote essays?---The bricks and mortar of my ediface," read as follows: "I am not a mover and shaker, a politician, captain of industry, government official, or on the social registry.  I am not the director of a prestigious firm, the favorite son of the community, or on the board of directors of a business, board of education of a local school district, or on any board of trustees.  I am not an adviser to the local parish priest, church ministers, rabbi, or mullah, and my name is not synonymous with power, influence, and accomplishment.  So, why would anyone want to know my opinion on the issues of the day or accept any advice, suggestions, or direction I would choose to give?  Because I have asked myself this question, let me share with you how I have come to justify it — and, believe me, I have struggled with it before."
         
                                                                                                                                                               

Thursday's Essay Excerpt - from the last paragraph of the essay



It is the family of teachers into which I was born, my own academic credentials, my career as a teacher, my writing and publications, my reading and viewing, my experience, history, and background, as well as my own family that surrounds me with love and affection that form the bricks and mortar of the edifice known as me.  It may not seem like much, but it’s certainly a great deal more than the credentials of many people who give advice, and whether or not it truly qualifies me to give advice, the foundation is there, and I make use of it often.

And Then Some News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Essays, SMOERs Words-of-Wisdom, Fridays Laugh, book reviews... And Then Some! Thank you for your comment.